The Ultimate Guide to Silver Glen Springs
Embark on a journey to Silver Glen Springs, a stunning natural treasure located in the Ocala National Forest.
Silver Glen Springs is open daily from 8 am to 8 pm, though hours can vary by season. Grab your friends or family and get ready for a day of adventure, relaxation, and exploration in one of Florida's most beautiful natural spring destinations.
We’ve gathered some of the best things to do make the most of your visit:
• Arrive at Silver Glen Springs and check-in at the entrance. Please note that the admission fee for day use is $12 per person daily.During the busy seasons, parking pass reservations are also required. For more information about these fees, visit ReserveOcala.com.
• Grab your mask and snorkel and head to the crystal-clear spring basin. Silver Glen Springs is renowned among both residents and visitors for its exceptionally clear water, often considered the clearest among all the springs in Florida. When the sun illuminates the water at the perfect angle, enchanting rainbows dance across the spring's bottom, creating a mesmerizing sight. The inviting turquoise hue of the water adds to its allure, making it a perfect haven for swimming and snorkeling enthusiasts.
• Explore the underwater world where you’ll be sure to spot various fish and marine life. Remember to bring your goggles for a better view.
• Keep your eyes peeled for manatees! Manatee sightings are common in Silver Glen Springs during the cooler winter months when these gentle creatures seek the warmth of the spring waters in the heart of the state. To enhance your chances of spotting manatees, we recommend following our guide to seeing the animals in the area.
• Take a leisurely swim or relax on the shore, soaking in the tranquil ambiance of Silver Glen Springs.
• Cool off in the Silver Glen Springs Recreation Area, where you can enjoy swimming in protected areas away from boat traffic. If you're up for more adventure, take advantage of the kayak and canoe rentals available and embark on a memorable journey down the scenic Silver Glen Run.
• Take a break from the water and have a picnic lunch at one of the 58 picnic tables or 30 pedestal grills available for visitors.
• Capture the beauty of the surroundings with your camera/phone. Don't miss the opportunity to take stunning photos of Silver Glen Springs against the backdrop of the forest.
• Strap on your hiking boots and head to the Spring Boils Trail, a short walk that leads to nearby Jody's Spring. Immerse yourself in the natural beauty of the area under the shade provided by the lush canopy of palms.
• Traverse the Lake George Trail, a 3-mile round-trip through the woods. Take in the scenic views of the cypress shoreline along the second largest lake in Florida, Lake George.
• Learn about the rich history of Silver Glen Springs as an important archaeological site. Appreciate the ancient middens, large mounds full of fossilized snail shells and artifacts, while respecting their significance to Native Americans.
• If you have more time, consider venturing into the Ocala National Forest. Discover the wonders of this pristine forest, offering various recreational activities such as hiking, wildlife viewing, and birdwatching.
As you explore the forested surroundings of Silver Glen Springs, it's important to be mindful of the environment and wildlife. Bears, raccoons, and crows tend to be attracted to food and shiny objects left unattended on picnic tables. To be a responsible and environmentally friendly visitor, always remember to follow the “Leave no Trace” mantra and clear your area of any items that might entice these curious creatures. By doing so, you help to preserve the delicate balance between enjoyment and conservation. For more information, visit www.fs.usda.gov.
Enjoy your unforgettable day at Silver Glen Springs, where you can immerse yourself in the natural beauty and serenity of one of Florida's finest spring destinations.